I’m normally a pretty healthy person, so I really try to make it a point to stay healthy even while on vacation. Who the heck wants to come back and have to lose those 5 lbs from vacation eating? Of course, I’m not perfect, but I try my best to keep some healthy habits on vacation.
Healthy Tips while on vacation:
1. Share Meals: I’ve definitely been guilty of over eating while on vacation (let’s not even speak of my trip to New Orleans! Why is the food SO good there??). So my BF and I try our best to share meals. That way, we’re never too full that we can’t go sight seeing. It also cuts back on costs.
2. Veggies and Fruits: This sounds ridiculous, but we always try to get in a side of veggies to balance out our meals. Also, if we had a very heavy meal before, our next meal will be much lighter and with more veggies. It’s tough on the body to eat a Philly cheese steak for lunch and then ribs for dinner. Trust me, I’ve tried.
3. Fiber Pills: Who wants to be backed up for 3 days while hiking up Machu Picchu? NOT ME. It’ll keep you regular and your insides happy. Check with your doctor first.
4. Water: These days, I rarely have any flavored drinks and prefer water. Be sure to have plenty of water. Don’t let bathroom breaks hinder you from drinking that H20. I’ve also heard that a lot of people mistaken dehydration for hunger. Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. It’ll really make a difference in your energy level.
5. Active Activities: Most vacations are so jammed packed with walking that I don’t think about this too much. However, sometimes when it comes down to renting a golf cart to tour the gardens of Versailles and walking Versailles…. pick the latter. Another great way to see neighborhood is to include a quick early morning run around the hotel while your travel buddies sleep in.